Tuesday, March 25, 2008

On Through the Night (Doug here)

Every time I board an international flight, I always try to take a peak into First Class, to see if those seats really lay down flat, and to observe what type of people travel in such relative comfort while I and the other common folk are stuffed in the back. Well, after our latest adventure, we now have a little insight into First Class travelling, albeit on a bus.

Argentina's primary domestic transportation method is an impressive system of overnight busses that depart from a huge bus station (Retiro) in downtown Buenos Aires. To give you an idea of why the buses are so popular, we purchased 4 First Class bus tickets from Buenos Aires to Bariloche for the cost of 1 economy airline ticket, plus we saved a night's lodging.

The buses are double-decker, and ours had approx 30 seats-the entire top floor was First Class and while the seats really only go to 170 degrees, they are very comfortable. Lunch, pillows, blankets, movies (in Spanish with Spanish subtitles), a hot dinner, and a glass of champagne before bedtime-what more does a traveler need?

Of course, nothing goes completely smoothly. Kerrigan has developed this loud shriek of a cry that comes out of nowhere. She did this enough times while we were trying to get her to take a nap that the man across the aisle got fed up and moved up to take a different seat. (this worked out goodbecause then we had an extra seat for Kerrigan). Then, just as dinner was being served, I realized that Hudson had wet through his pull-up, soaking his pants. So, there I am juggling my dinner and drink from not spilling while changing a wet pull-up.

The others got a decent night sleep (I couldn't sleep for some reason), and we enjoyed a nice sunrise and breakfast. Unfortunately, Hudson soaked through his pull-ups again overnight, so he enjoyed his medialunas wrapped in a blanket. Then, a big bump in the road took out Brooke's coffee and her new pants. Finally, at 9:30 am (16 hours total) we rolled into Bariloche-a little bedraggled, but with a First Class adventure under our belts.

Packed and ready to board the bus.

Did I mention the First Class lunch?

A different side of Buenos Aires (view from bus)

Here is where that Argentina beef comes from (miles and miles of it)

Sunrise in Patagonia

Breakfast in bed

Kerrigan slept better in her own seat

1 comment:

jillyco said...

Good job Doug! Okay, I admit, I laughed at the "first class lunch" comment. Some of my kids would think they HAD a first class lunch with yummy white bread (something I NEVER buy but my kids LOVE).