Saturday, March 15, 2008

Cafe con leche y 3 medialunas

We decided to try breakfast out yesterday. We keep seeing 'cafe con leche y 3 medialunas' on menus. It's on nearly every menu and is supposed to be a common breakfast here, so we tried it. Medialuna means 'half moon' like crescent roll, or croissant. It was good. Medialunas are sweeter than croissants. I'm sure they're not good for you, but they tasted good. The cafe con leche and cappuccinos have been really good every place we've had them here. Their milk is different here, so we wonder if it's the milk that makes the coffee so good.

Enjoying breakfast at the famous La Biela in Recoleta Village

and yet another coffee (cappuccino) later :).

decaf for Kerrigan & me

part of Recoleta Village

Freddo ice cream is so good they have several mopeds with iceboxes ready for deliveries.

We're guessing there are a lot of dogsitting or dogwalking businesses, because we often see people with several dogs.

Another thing we keep noticing, is that every restaurant only has salt shakers on the tables - no pepper. Even in the grocery stores, you can find a lot of salt, but no pepper.

8 comments:

Stef said...

I have heard a lot about Cafe con leche from my Mother-in-law and from Jason's Grandma, but am yet to have it! It does look and sound delicious.
Also, Jason has always told me that South American food needs salt, because with out it, it has no flavor. Is this true? :)

Unknown said...

Thanks for the info on cafe con leche, which I have heard of as well, but didn't realize it was actually espresso. That answers my question about whether they deliver coffee with a french press, like they do in Europe.

I'm interested in how the milk is different, if you have a chance to find out.

Doug said...

Pat, from what I can find, everyone agrees that the dairy products are better here (milk,ice cream, etc.), but no one is exactly sure why. The best guess seems to be that the same pampas grass that gives the beef flavor helps the dairy products as well.

Brooke said...

I think the milk tasting sweet might be due to the fact that it's ultra-pasteurized, too. I think it makes it sweeter (I think it's not as good for you, either). I don't think the coffee in cafe con leche is espresso, but I think it is in capuccino. I think the coffee here is all roasted with sugar, which may be attributing to the flavor we like. When we buy a bag of coffee from the grocery store, they all say 'cafe tostado con azucar molido' and the ingredients say 'cafe - azucar'

Brooke said...

I'm realizing they pretty much put sugar in everything here - even mustard - much to my chagrin :)

RU said...

Fun cafe- Doug you look the most relaxed I've seen you! How is the decaf, Brooke? We are loving the coffee in Chile. It is very strong, served without sugar or milk but still tastes great. I have to drink a 3:1 ratio of water to coffee to keep from getting dehydrated. We are having warm sunny days here. What are your temps like?

Anonymous said...

Still following your travels and loving all of the pictures and details! Thanks for keeping us posted.

jillyco said...

Oh that coffee looks so pretty! :) Sounds like it was as good as it looks!