Thursday, March 13, 2008

No Exploring Today

We decided to take a slower day and just relax today. They have these exterior wooden blinds on most buildings here and they're pretty cool. They block out all the light, which I normally don't like, but it comes in real handy when you're really tired and want to sleep in. Plus, the best benefit is that it helps the kids sleep in! So, since we're still adjusting a little bit to the time here/jetlag and still a little tired, we slept in again today. I guess we're actually pretty much on the Buenos Aires schedule - up late in the morning and up late at night. We do want to be able to get up a little earlier than 9, though, soon.

Instead of exploring, we went running with the locals today at Bosques de Palermo (Palermo Woods), which is supposed to be the Central Park or Golden Gate Park of BA. It was nice, except that as soon as I stepped out of the taxi, I instantly got 3 mosquito bites. If anyone is going to get malaria of us, it will likely be me. I even had a little repellent on, but they seem to like my blood so much that they braved the repellent to get it. I acquired many more bites after that. Malaria is not supposed to be a risk in Buenos Aires, but is in parts of Costa Rica we'll be in. Guess I'll have to really pile on the repellent there.

The run was nice. I ran first, while Doug played with the kids and then we switched. We then walked a couple miles over to another park (with Kerrigan in the broken stroller on three wheels and the other kids on our shoulders much of the time). We had a little picnic lunch that Doug had packed this morning. We then walked to a playground and the kids played with some local kids and had a great time. Then we took a taxi back home.

After the kids' naps, we walked a few blocks down to Recoleta Village for an early dinner at 9:00. Yes, we were one of the first there. Places were full as we were leaving around 10:30. Some say Recoleta is a bit touristy, but we wanted to check it out. It was fun. A lot of people were out and we had a very nice dinner - good Argentina wine, good Argentina beef and yummy grilled vegetables and they brought us empenadas as a starter again. You can get a huge steak - filet or sirloin or ribeye or whatever - for $10 US dollars! The kids split a small sirloin (media bife de chorizo) (not to be confused with the chorizo sausage) and they loved it. I had filet (bife de lomo) and Doug had the ribeye (ojo de bife). We're loving that we can walk to and from so many places and the weather is great that we can still be plenty warm late at night. It worked well to have Kerrigan in the child backpack and Sutton & Hudson did well walking. My camera battery died, so I didn't get any pictures of the Village and dinner, etc., but we'll likely be back and I'll post some next time.

Everywhere we've been, people have been extremely nice to our kids. Before our trip, we had read that Argentines are very friendly and welcoming of kids and we are definitely finding that to be true. The kids are having a great time and have said they want to move here.

Palermo Woods

2 comments:

Stef said...

The mosquito thing... I can totally relate. They eat me alive. I think its one reason I'm not dying to go camping in the summer. :)
Okay, eating dinner at 10:30?? Do these people have weight problems? I wouldn't be able to go to bed until 3am if I ate at 10:30 -- very weird! I do think Jason was born to live there; he would love the late getting up and late going to bed, with a nap somewhere in the middle. :)

Tell your kids you may not move there.

jillyco said...

I'm sorry your stroller broke! What a bummer!

And yeah, I agree with Stef...if I ate that late I'd be having bizarre dreams all night! :) I went to Spain in the late 80's (with a college group) and it's like that there too. Siesta!