Tuesday, March 11, 2008

City Life

We’ve both wanted to experience life in the city. It’s only been a day and a half, but I feel like I can relate a little better to what life is like for you, Matt & Ru, in New York City. There are great parts and parts I’d really have to get used to. I’ve gotten spoiled in an American suburb. Our apartment doesn’t have a dishwasher nor a washer and dryer. The city is dirty and it feels like there is about an inch of grime on my skin after a day of walking in the city. Our apartment feels the same way, hard to keep from feeling dusty. We don’t have a car, which we really like in a lot of ways. It’s great to walk everywhere, but a little more difficult with 3 kids. They can only last so long. There are some beautiful parts of Buenos Aires and a lot of history. I’ll try to capture as much of it as I can in photos, but it’s not easy. There is so much to capture. We like that there are trees everywhere, not just in the parks like San Francisco and New York. It feels a little like a mixture of Paris, San Francisco and New York all in one. I’ve never been to New York, but just from what I’ve heard and seen in pictures. Buenos Aires has been said to be a city of ‘faded elegance’. It’s an old city that has some really beautiful buildings and a lot of buildings in disrepair.
Leann, there are even Curves in Buenos Aires! :) We thought of you!
One of the many parks. We look forward to going on runs thru these.

a lot of people sunbathe in the parks

some of the prettier architecture

and some of both

4 comments:

jillyco said...

Great pictures Brooke!

Unknown said...

Doug looks so fit and trim...

Maybe it's just the dust/grime, or dehydration.

Stef said...

I had no idea there were cities like this there! See... you're teaching me new things. ;)

RU said...

you are finally experiencing your "city dreams!" I hope it is a great experience for you both ( I know the kids will love it!)
Living in a big city is a love/hate relationship- gotta take the bad with the good. Are you going to go to a soccer game while there? Argentina has a VERY good futbol team- it would be a fun experience. Just don't sit in the cheap section- they get ROWDY....and look out for the fireworks.