Thursday, September 16, 2010

HELP!

Doug set 3 mousetraps last night and, this morning, all the almond butter was gone, but the traps are still unsnapped!  So, we're just feeding them!  Any tips on how to get rid of these unwelcome visitors?

5 comments:

Stef said...

Jason said he likes the traps that look like a nice, black tunnel. The mouse goes in and something (not sure what) kills them and then you just take that tunnel out the next day and you don't have to see the headless mouse.
We got those when our kids were born and we keep them in the garage, just in case. That's how paranoid I am! I think we caught one back in Livermore, but since then we've never had a mouse problem.

Stef said...

also, the almond butter isn't sticky enough to trap them, so they can get snapped. They need something super sticky or something like cheese that they have to yank off the trap.

Brooke said...

Thanks, Stef! We'll look into that. We tried cheese in the garage traps that were already there, but they took that, too! Maybe we'll need to wire down some kind of food or something.

Julie Handel said...

Ditto stef's first comment - our "have a heart" trap works great. I laugh at the irony though because we drown them in a crate of water after we catch them - no use setting them loose for someone else to deal with :) I didn't know about the stickiness factor but the little mouse traps never worked for us (after I witnessed a mouse wriggle out of one all bloody I never used one again). I bought a bigger one and it actually killed the mice every time it sprung.

Connie said...

Try T-Rex traps...although it looks like you caught one with the wired-on hazelnut. We have a friend who is overseas and they catch a ton of rats on T-Rex traps. Maybe this is preparing you for being in S America! :)