Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Hangin' Out in the 'Timber'

For those who are not from IL, 'timber' is, as best as I can gather, a piece of land where there are trees to camp or hang out or have a weiner roast (another IL term I had to learn - basically roasting hot dogs over a fire).  Doug's parents have a piece of land that was part of the original Homestead of Doug's mom's father's parents (I think I got that right).  The kids love it there.  There's a creek, toads and frogs to be caught, fish to be caught, tree swing, hammock, sandbox and lots of land to run around.  Kind of like a big, private park.  Doug's parents do a great job of keeping it mowed, clean, nice.

Everyone here kept telling me to "Wait for Fall.  It's so nice in Fall."  Well, they were right.  The leaves haven't turned yet, but the humidity is gone and the temperature is nice.  The bug population has even gone down a little!  I'm a little apprehensive about the winter temperatures, but maybe it'll be nice to have all the bugs frozen and gone!

So, we enjoyed a night of grilling and having dinner at the timber Sunday afternoon/night.  A good time was had by all :).  We missed you, Derek & Leann!....

the whole gang (minus Derek, Leann, Lexi, Wesley & Whitley)

Kerr Kerr in her princess chair, of course

Aunt Janelle with Londyn and Kerrigan

Kerrigan loved reading with Great Grandma

And the others wanted to join in, too!

It's been neat to spend more time with Great Grandma and Great Grandpa
Uncle Brent with little Londyn
We played some Bocce Ball






and went for a walk



enjoying the fire and sunset



our little pyros

2 comments:

Stef said...

I loved these pictures! What a beautiful piece of land they have! Looks so relaxing and "away from it all".
Also, so nice the kids get to spend so much time with Grands and Greats.

Julie Handel said...

hehe I'm always a comment behind you stef!! Great pictures Brooke, especially the ones with the "greats" - priceless!