Thursday, March 17, 2011

Frankenstein, Tinkerbell & Sickboy

I had my surgery yesterday to remove the cancer on my left cheek.  I no longer have a hole in my face, but now a big line.  I haven't seen it yet, because it's all covered with bandages (at least they're skin colored), but from what I could tell while he was doing the surgery (It was done under local anesthetic, so I was awake), it seems like a large area that he cut out.  He had to go in a second time after he'd sewn it up, because the pathologist tested the tissue removed and found unacceptable margins on one part.  He had to go back in and remove more.  Thankfully, they tested it then and I won't have to go back later.  Since I was awake, I talked with the surgeon.  He was very nice and turns out he is a Christian (he goes to the church where we heard Paul Tripp's talk on parenting -- he was playing guitar with the worship band that day, but I didn't know him then, so didn't notice).  Not that God can't work through any surgeon's hand, but it was neat to discuss spiritual things with the Dr. and know we are brother and sister in Christ.  He also homeschooled his three children whom are all adults now, so it was fun to converse about that and be encouraged by him.  We also joked about my mini facelift that I got, because of having to pull together the skin on each side of the gap :).

I will have these bandages on for a week or so and then will need to take very good care of the site, with scarzone and pray it heals well.  He said it will likely lighten after a year.  So, my nickname will be 'Frankenstein' or 'Franky' for a while.

It hurts now, after the anesthetic has worn off, but not as bad as I expected it to hurt.  The Dr. prescribed Vicodin for pain.  I won't take it, but it made me a bit nervous about how much pain to expect.  It hurts and throbs and I have to take very small bites of food, can't smile or laugh and talk without moving my mouth very much.

Here's a lovely picture of my bandages --
 Kerrigan came downstairs as 'Tinkerbell' this morning :)
 And, poor Buddy was up most of the night throwing up :(.  (Hence I was up, too)  He's sleeping now.  Poor guy.


3 comments:

Stef said...

I'm glad your surgery went well! What a cool thing that the Dr. was a Christian. I love those little surprises God throws our way :)
Kerrigan and Kara would get along marvelously. She often comes down in bathing suits, because they have little skirts on them and she says she's doing ballet :)
Poor Hudson! Seems like everyone all over the US is getting this stomach bug. In our house only Rachel had it and it was super short lived - hoping his passes soon.

The Kaiser Family said...

Brooke - you are beautiful inside AND out! Glad it's over. I'm praying for you.
Ruth

gretchen said...

Brooke, I'm feeling traumatized for you! it's been too long since we've talked. hopefully when you're feeling up to it we can. I love you and will pray you heal well.
when I had my gallbladder removed i realized that vicodin is not my friend, i'll NEVER take it again. hopefully by now you're managing your pain well.