Sunday, April 29, 2012

The Cold Day the Barn Came Down

After freezing at Sutton's soccer game in the morning (it suddenly has been very cold here the last couple days - had to break out the winter gear again), we went over to Derek & Leann's to help with some things and watch the barn demolition.  They had an old, original barn on their property that they don't want.


Committed Fans

I think some parents were watching from their cars, because there are usually many more.  You can tell how cold it was by how bundled up everyone was!
This is part of the team during practice before the game.  They all had hats, pants, sweatshirts, etc.

Much different from last Thursday -- it was warm and sunny.  
Sutton played in shorts and short sleeves.

 This is the state of the barn as we arrived -- stripped of any parts that were sold on craigslist and the lean to torn down.


Brothers



Here's a video of the most dramatic part.  I think this was the third try.  
Just disregard my lame narration :)  I need to learn to just be quiet during my videos!
Hudson had fun riding with Uncle Derek in the tractor during this.

almost there.  the kids were excited to watch the exciting crash of this part and ran over to jump on the roof until we kicked them off realizing it was still pretty dangerous.


neat to see the old wooden peg construction.
imagining all the history in that barn.
I think it was over 100 years old.


All down.  Next is to burn it.  

1 comment:

Stef said...

WOW! That is some sudden weather changes. Loved the pic of Hudson and Kerrigan all bundled, watching the game. Too cute.

That barn tear down was awesome! And you're right - after 100 years of being there, I bet it has some pretty neat history.