Friday, April 4, 2008

Arriving in Mendoza (Our last stop in Argentina)

A little Mendoza history:
With the arrival of the Spaniards, the territory of Mendoza was occupied by the Huarpe Indians. Later on, between the XVIII and XIX centuries, the Pehuenches entered these territories. The Huarpes stand out because they had developed a net of irrigation channels in the Huentota Valley (city of Mendoza today), which enabled them to grow potatoes and corn. The Spaniards found this clever system, which they later called "Dique de la Toma de los españoles" (Spanish Capture Dam). The Huarpes were a peaceable, sedentary and agricultural people.
On March 2, 1561, Pedro del Castillo founded the city and named it Mendoza after the governor of Chile, Don García Hurtado de Mendoza. Agricultural production recorded by chroniclers and travelers during the XVI century continued its development during the XVII and XVIII centuries. As cultivation spread, new irrigation courses were outlined, to such extent that by the XVIII century there were eighty three channels, with waters from the Mendoza and Tunuyán Rivers.
In 1813, the state of Cuyo was created and General José de San Martín became Governor. In Mendoza, in the XIX century, preparations for the epic liberating achievement were made by the General José de San Martín, which would eventually manage independence from Spain, providing major autonomy. In January 1817, San Martín left Mendoza and led its army across the Andes to liberate Chile and Perú.
Destroyed by an earthquake on March 20, 1861, Mendoza was re-built and, during the following century, became the regional metropolis of Cuyo, with an important commercial, industrial, financial and cultural development.
...........
We got into town around 10 and couldn't check into our apt. until 1, so we dropped our bags off with the property management and walked around to get acquainted with the area.

Sarmiento Walking Street - a pretty street with many cafes and no cars. This is very close to our apartment, which is nice.

It was the Plaza Principal Square of the Ciudad Nueva (New City), designed in year 1863 by the French land surveyor Balloffet, two years after the earthquake that devastated the region. It was remodelled in 1941 and again in 1995. A semicircular fountain with a frieze alludes to the independence of the Virreinato del Rio de la Plata from the Spanish crown.

The fair in Plaza Independencia Thurs - Sunday

The Park Hyatt - right on the plaza. Until 1999 the luxurious Hotel Plaza functioned in this place. On that date the hotel was purchased by Hyatt. It was remodelled, but its original façade was kept and restored, being a colonial structure from the XIXth century.

At first impression, we like this city. It's kind of the best of both worlds - so much with in walking distance, yet not a huge city. Kind of a blend of suburbia and city. The streets are all tree-lined with cute facades on cafes, restaurants and shops.

and like Buenos Aires, the sidewalks are all some kind of tile.

examples of the irrigation channels

outside our apartment building near Plaza Independencia

the lobby

living & dining area

kitchen

we have a washer, but no dryer. It's nice that we don't have to go to the lavanderia this week. Still no dishwasher, though.

our room

kids' room - we'll see how sharing a bed goes

bathroom

balcony with not so great view and we have to keep the family room curtains closed, because other apartments are right there.

The apartment is tight quarters, but is the cleanest yet, which is nice. The 2 guys that own it are from the states. They have lived in Mendoza for 3 years and love it. They recently started their rental business. We're glad, because it was nearly impossible to find a rental in this city online. This was pretty much our only choice.

5 comments:

Stef said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stef said...

Its been interesting to see all these places you're going to. I admit I was a bit naive when it came to other countries. I tend to think of people living in mud huts and civilization being nothing like it is here. This has been really interesting to see how its actually quiet beautiful and colorful and so many of the places have been quite attractive! This is my least favorite apartment/house you've lived so far though. ;)

RU said...

Looks great for city life- almost as small as our "shoebox" but since it has 2 bedrooms I guess it's bigger! I am glad that you have the washer- it does make life so much easier to skip the laundromat! I can certainly relate to small, no dishwasher, and no views... I sympathize. How are the noise levels at night? I can't believe you've been on the road for over a month- are you still loving it?

jillyco said...

Very pretty city! I love the fronts of the buildings.

Unknown said...

Glad to hear you made it to your last stop, even though that means your adventure is winding down.

I have been mourning now for nearly a week regarding the Final Four, but now I must bring myself to mention it. If you are not aware, UCLA didn't make it to the Championship. I know that you will also be very sad (especially since Illinois didn't make it at all; I didn't mention that before, did I?), but it was nonetheless a great year. Also, the BBall uniforms have the C in UCLA in bright yellow to commemorate that we're the first university to make it to 100 Nat'l Championships.

I'm sure that this is small news given all the new perspectives, experiences, knowledge and differences you're experiencing. It may even seem shallow, but I wanted to give you a taste of home. What are friends like you for, if you can't be there to read my rants, right?

In all seriousness, I look forward to hearing more about WINE!!!

Patrick