Friday, December 10, 2010

Pain in the Rear

Literally! :)
My latest Lyme treatment is having Doug give me a penicillin shot in my rear twice a week for 10 weeks (switching sides each time).  So, not fun!  It's not just a shot.  They hurt more than any shot I've ever had.  The penicillin is so thick that the needle is really big and it takes 4 minutes to get the whole shot in.  It makes my whole low back, glute and hamstring cramp up, then I'm sore for a few days afterward.  This treatment is to kick up the treatment a notch and to give my stomach and intestines a break from all the antibiotics as they're already in such bad shape from the Lyme.  My Dr. has given me some things to take to help heal the gut, too.  We'll see.

I haven't explained much about Lyme, because I haven't really known how to and it's complicated, but we are praying this treatment works.  In a nutshell, I finally was introduced to a Dr. (thank you, Kelli!) that did a very comprehensive evaluation and many tests to rule anything else out and then given the Lyme tests, which came back positive.  That Dr. then referred me to who is supposed to be one of the top Lyme specialists in the world.  The Drs. believe (as do we) that I've had Lyme for 10 years (got it in 2000 before our wedding, right before the Boston marathon when I got really sick with what we thought was mono at the time).  It was diagnosed as Sjogren's Syndrome at the time, which has similar symptoms.  There are many symptoms, but the most noticeable and hindering for me have been the bad headaches, fatigue, muscle/joint pain, vision/focus/memory issues, gut issues.  It's really taken it's toll and worsened over the 10 years.  I've felt a little improvement on the treatment, but have a long way to go, according to the Dr.

Thank you to all who've been praying for me in this healing!

As soon as things settle down a bit during this busy season, I'll do my best to catch up on my posts I'm so behind in!  Hope you all have a Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

Stef said...

I'm so sorry Brooke! My goodness, I hate needles. With a passion. I will be praying for you. I'm so sorry you're dealing with this.

RU said...

oh friend. I am sorry to hear this. That doesn't sound like fun at all. I am praying that it will help and that you will be back on track in no time! Big Hug from afar.